Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I honestly never thought I would be serving at a church this early in life or even ever. Like, actually serving. It's been scary, yet exciting. I have all these little children looking back at me and they are longing for the truth to be taught to them. It is my job that that is done. I pray and I beg God to show me how. I trust that He has thus far and I trust that as each new day comes, He'll continue to do just that. After all, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."  - Matthew 7:7

Sunday my sermon was from Matthew 14:22-33 where Jesus walked on water. Peter too until he saw the wind blowing and took his eyes off of Jesus and began to sink. One of my little ones piped up and said, "but Jesus saved him just in time, because Jesus is always on time!" That He is sweet child, that He is.

Several of my children were amazed by this story. I mean, who walks on water?! To me, their response meant it was just right. They were excited about what they had just learned. I taught them something that had never heard of before. Thank you, God. Even though it was Saturday morning before I'd finished my sermon, it was worth the wait...

The kids are so sweet and this has given me an opportunity to rely on God. Some weeks, Monday I will have my sermon almost finished and other times, I'll be sweating it on Saturday because it just hasn't all come together the way I'd like. But, I think it's important that I wait for God to give me the message I'm to share and not grow impatient and do it on my own.

Here I am, blogging. Why? Because I have my previous sermons in front of me and my Bible beside me and nothing is jumping out at me.

Easy fix? Google a children's lesson. Copy, paste, change a few words around and DONE! But, I want true effort to be shown. Not just so God says "That is the way it's done. I'm proud." But also because perhaps that lesson on google was perfect for the children it was shared with, but maybe my children need something different. Maybe, just maybe, the sermon I share with them on Sunday will change their lives. It could. It can.

For better or for worse, they will look back on their times as a young child and remember their children's worship leader... me. I want them to say, "Hey, I learned so much from her! She showed me God on an entirely new level. Through the power of the Holy Spirit in her she changed my life for the better. God did a work in her that later did a work in me. Now, I'm serving my God to the full!" Seem like a bit much? I'm not trying to "toot my own horn", however, I refuse to limit my God to my children growing up and saying, "Hey, our children's church leader was really nice. She had pretty hair too. Oh.. and she seemed to love God." If they think I only "seem" to love God, then "Houston, we have a problem."

I'm on fire for God. It is my delight to be used by Him. God is my life. I fail Him.. daily. But, He is what I live for. There should be no question as to my love for God. People shouldn't have to ask if I'm a Christian or the "church going type". Without me saying a word, they should be able to tell. And, if they can't, I've got some serious work to do. I'd say, I have some work to do. As hard as I try, I could try harder to bring glory to God.

It's amazing what you can learn from children. I've always loved children, but have never really felt called to children's ministry. Perhaps God had different plans than I have for myself.

Believe it or not folks, we have the potential to change lives.

Let's make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment